Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Free Spirit Layout

Hello, everyone! I'm sharing a layout I made for the March "Make it Prima" challenge.

Here's the mood board/palette:


The soft greens and pinks mixed with the pale brown and grey make a perfect color combo- not one I would normally use, but I adored working with them!

Here's what I came up with:




I used the Salvage District and Wild and Free collections for this layout, as well as some of the newer flowers (Oh my word- the new flower are heavenly!), and some older resin and metal pieces.

Here's a closeup that shows the stenciling- remember that older Prima lovely circle/ leafy stencil? That's what I used with some white crackle paste. I used Soft Teal Color Bloom spray for some splats.



That gate is an older Prima metal piece. And there are the clear Melange pebbles peeking out from the flower clusters, as well as some whispy white vines that I cut from printer paper and added the Bare Color Philosphy ink- t looks splattered, but it's really just that the I pressed the paper onto th ink pad and it leaves the pattern of the ink pad itself, which I love!



I added some alphabet chipboard that I treated with gesso, Mermaid Hair Color Philosophy ink, and some Metalique Wax in Brass.


Thanks for taking a look at my entry for the Prima challenge! Good luck to all who entered! If you haven't had a change to join the new Prima challenge, give it a try!

Rae

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

"You Got This" Canvas

Hello everyone!

Prima Marketing has a new monthly challenge this year, "Make it Prima!"and it's pretty cool!


And this is my take on it:

I made a canvas using a bunch of new Prima goodies:



I stated by adding a thick layer of light paste to a canvas, and then I pressed a vine stencil into the paste for an embossed look. I then added Peony and Cotton Candy Color Bloom sprays.

I used some Sparks paint (Butterfly Spells, which is a BEAUTIFUL light rose color) and waxes in Rose Gold, and Aged Brass, as well as some Artisan Powders in black and Mahogany Teakwood on the resin frame. 

Inside of the frame are pieces from the Rose Quartz ephemera pack. I also used a butterfly from the Mechanicals line that I gessoed and sprayed with the Cotton Candy and Peony sprays.

I fussy cut out the feathers form the Rose Quartz 12X12 and journaling card papers, and stuck those under the pretty Rose Verona flowers, also from the Rose Quartz collection. I also snuck in some small roses (Lovelies). 

Next, I added some Say it in Crystals from the Love Clippings collection, and then used Blush micro beads on the flowers, butterfly, and feathers.

I finished off the canvas by adding some splats of white gesso and the pink sprays.

Here's a close up of the how awesome the micro beads look on the flowers. :)


Thanks for checking out my project! I hope you have a lovely day!

Rae

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Mixed Media Doll

Hello everyone!

Last year I went to Prima's ArtVenture Seaside in Coronado, and I took the most amazing class- a mixed media doll class by Anna Dabrowska. The doll I made in that class took me weeks to finish at home, and it is one of my most treasured projects! You can see a detailed account of the process HERE. I loved the process so much, that I decided to make another doll.

I started this one this past summer at a retreat, and I have worked on it, bits at a time, and finally finished it up last week.

The color scheme was intended to be green, purple, and gold, Mardi Gras colors, but the tones didn't come out quite how I thought they would. However, that stunning purple-pink color is a Prima Color Bloom 2 mist, Black Tulip. 

I decided to make a mask for her because she is going to sit next to her blue sister who is always wearing a mask, so I thought they should have something in common.  And, after gessoing her face, her poor eyes are kind of a mess! :)

Here in this side view, you can get a sense of how tall that beehive hairdo is- the doll had practically no hair, so I bought additional doll hair to supplement. Of course, the beehive needed a massive crown, so I added several metal pieces- some are Prima mechanicals, some are just random pieces I've had for a while.



Another close up of the crown- you can see I added roses to her hair as well. I found the wings in the doll section of a craft store.


Here's a closeup of the roses- they are the Prima ones that come in the box and have gold edges. They have been gessoed, painted, misted, and painted again to create the marbled effect. (And they are very durable now.)



Here's a close up of her back. 




I used the Prima Color Bloom Empress Gold for the gold coloring, as well as Prima opal magic paints. I achieved the green color by using Tattered Angels Olive Vine, and also Prima opal magic paints. 

Thanks for having a look at my doll!

Rae